Monday, April 30, 2012

Social Networking

The world as we know it revolves around social networking. We have become so dependent upon such sites as Facebook, and twitter, that a lot of people can't go a single day without checking one of them. It is pretty sickening to me, because I myself am guilty of these same perverse addictions.  I wish that sites that weren't so addicting (such as xanga and myspace) were still popular, that way I might have found some more productive means for my time.  I feel like our generation has been edging closer and closer to becoming a society that doesn't physically interact with each other anymore, and that scares the heck out of me.

I find the existence of Twitter to be disheartening. Facebook already had the whole status update thing going on for a while. Then Twitter came along and made it so their site had status's that were readable by anyone,anywhere, with no privacy, and people ate it up. Why were people so excited to share their thoughts and stupid saying with people around the world, when they could have just done that with their friends in person or even on facebook if need be!? I don't understand kids these days, I feel like i'm becoming that old grandpa that looks on at the kids in the park and shakes his head at how easy they have things these days.

A popular meme/hashtag that has been going around is #firstworldproblems , I find it pretty insightful. alot of these kids are growing up with social networking sites being their primary means of communication. I'm not saying that I'm immune so some of these problems, but at least I lived through land lines, and AOL being popular ways of staying in touch. Kids have it too easy, events are created with a click of a mouse, happy birthdays are said by typing it out, nothing is personal anymore , everything lacks personality.  If I had some sort of super power, I would eliminate social networking sites for about a week, just to let people feel what it was like to be without them for a little. Hopefully it would make some people (including myself) realize how dependent we are on them, and help bring personal contact back into our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment