Wednesday, April 25, 2012

SOPA?

I will be honest in this post, I honestly did not know what SOPA stood for and what it was until I read the articles. It may seem hard to believe since it went all viral on the internet but I dont have any online accounts like FaceBook and Twitter (except blogger because of this class!)...

Now that I am informed and I have become a less of an internet-user, I am with the majority of Americans that are against this bill if it did pass. This would be a total violation of our first amendment! When I was looking at the New Study Shows Majority Of Americans Against SOPA article, I was surprised to see the visual graphs... (who knew that 65 year-old people downloaded music and movies?!) I was surprised to see that a lot of this copying had to do with people sharing with friends and family. Imagine a world where we couldn't share anything with the close ones in our lives? I believe that a country like this one with that weight of restriction would cause corruption and chaos. It is ridiculous to think that we are being restricted by the government to share things with people we know.

I agree with stoping the sharing of media by posting them on a website or facebook. That is after all what Hollywood has a problem with, right? There should be some type of minor restriction but nothing extreme like not being able to share with your family members...That is just ridiculous.

I also feel uncomfortable with the fact that there is surveillance kept on my activities on the internet. It does make sense since the internet was created by the government and it was first theirs....

I just hope that for the next time something like this happens, everyone who will be affected, like me, can know about this and are able to have a voice in this. It's amazing that the moajority involved in this did not have a say in anything when this bill was being argued and debated......But the government never changes. I feel like anything they can try to keep the majority out of, they do all in their power to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment