Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cybersecurity and the Generative Dilemma.


I am almost completely oblivious when it comes to computers and technology. I hate dealing with computers and the internet. I like to browse the web for specific things I need to research, sign onto social networks, or just use my computer for simple tasks.  A few things I am knowledgeable about and aware of are the high risks PC’s are at for getting viruses and causing more trouble for users in comparison to Apple’s computers. Although Apple computers tend to hold the favorable vote over Windows, I’d always prefer a Windows because I find them much simpler to utilize due to the user friendly interface and I am just more accustomed to using Windows. I am a proud Windows user!
Chapter 3 of Zittrain’s, “The Future of the Internet,” Cybersecurity and the Generative Dilemma  and Lee’s “How I learned to stop worrying and love the App Store” both mention “generativity” and the use of generative technologies. Generative technologies, such as PCs can be defined as computers that have the capability to produce voluntary advancements that are not anticipated by the computer’s creator. Generative technologies do have their pros and cons. The major dilemma is that these technologies tend to lead to security issues such as bugs, viruses, and malware, with Microsoft Windows being the biggest target for years! (I still prefer using a Windows computer over an Apple computer.). Zittrain argues that if the internet initially designed the internet with security as their “center piece,” (Page 41) would have made it harder for these devices to get infected with viruses and worms, such as the first internet worm to successfully attack machines. This worm was created by a college graduate student named Robert Morris. (Page 37).
           In the article “How I learned to stop worrying and love the App Store” they bring up the App Store. App Stores changed the way we interact with our iOS or Android devices. Even other companies are engaging in App Stores available for consumers. App Stores are beyond powerful and beneficial to consumers. In this article, they also talk about the revealing of the first iPhone in 2007, which allowed no third-party software at all. There was plenty of liberty with the apps, but Apple also imposed many different restrictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment