Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Secret to Internet success



    As I try to read and write about this topic I found myself aimlessly lost within the Internet. As I was looking for examples of good and bad online content, I found myself so distracted by what I came across. ESPN, Youtube, Facebook are great websites to for procrastination (what I am doing now), but we ask what is it that attracts us "surfers" to these sites? The answer you ask? Well that in itself lies within the actual individual and what they like. 
     What I took away from the materials http://scribeseo.com/seo-copywriting/ and http://www.deannazandt.com/presentations/claremont-mckenna-college-how-you-will-change-the-world-with-social-networking/ are that if we desire to become an internet sensation we must have good content which come in the form of understanding SEO, search engines, key wording, accessibility, good/interesting writing, use of social networking and a target audience. Incorporating this into our internet strategy will increase traffic to our sites.
     I found his quote "What people say about you is more important than what you say about yourself.", to be very true. Our goal is to be heard and we would want people to share our site to their friends and thats how we get traffic. The only way to achieve that is to have good content that keeps the "surfer" returning. I personally believe that content is the foundation we must strive to create and maintain because there are 700 million Americans (don't quote me on that) alone online looking for sites to get lost in. If they happen to come across yours and following what Clark has taught us, they are sure to come back.
     Probably the worst online content in the world would have to belong to Craigslist.com I personally find it to be really boring and quite dangerous if you ask me. Sure there is plenty traffic on it but I just find to be a waste of time, aesthetically its simple, content is a quite provocative "men seeking women, women seeking men, etc." I don't know if it is just me but I find that really sketchy and just ewww. Modells.com buying shoes is such bore for me compared to other competitors such as Footlocker and Champs. It just doesn't engage me as the other stores, plus it doesn't have all its brick and mortar inventory, you would think that Modells website would feature it but it doesn't. For example in stores they sell Nike products but online, forget it! I find that to be annoying, there website is just as boring as their actual stores, you know what I'm talking about.
     But there is hope within the Internet, Mlbtraderumors.com is probably one of my favorite sites to visit, it has many great articles and links that talk about MLB gossip, for example the hoopla of which team was going to sign Albert Pujols, had me constantly checking them out. Its simple and stories as well as opinions are all interesting to read. It is pretty much a scroll down to find what the latest headline and they update constantly which has many people coming back for more. Another site of which I am not afraid to admit is Pinterest.com, I know its more catered to women sharing ideas. I found it to be engaging because it is simple enough to just scroll down and if you like it "re-pin" to your profile and that is how you share. There are many pictures to which help a guy like me understand what is going on, I found out that the share content is a mix of original ideas and from other websites, I think this website a "cute" forum of ideas.





No comments:

Post a Comment