Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Generativity and Internet Computing for Fun and Profit

I was born into an era of increased tech savy and came of age with the World Wide Web. However as young semi-broke college student, I don't sometimes feel as though I don't see the internet as the colossal money maker as it is. My internet comes with the dorm. My folks cover my cell phone bill. (Data is on the family plan.) Its not like I refuse to spend money online but I use the bulk of my web-browsing time on free sites. My blogs are free. My videos are free. Even my music, streamed legally on Pandora and Spotify, is free. I imagine that I sit through alot of advertising, but it isn't like I'm focusing on in it or drowning in it. And even when I fall for Google's slightly creepy banner advertising, I know that my clicks are worth pennies. My clicks have made me pennies too. But I seriously doubt, even if you factor in the fact that I worked a full time internship in the Communications Department at one of the cities largest Cultural Institutions, took an online class, and live in a place where stores mark up their costs to deal with high rent, that I've made or spent more than $5,000 digitally.

Millions upon millions of dollars? Billions? C'mon!

I believe that my initial scpecticism has to deal with my accepting the principles of Generativity outlined in Chapter 4 of the Zittran reading before I could put a name to them. I have always known that the internet could make tough tasks, primarily research in my case, easier (Leverage). I have seen the internet grow from plain webpages where my dad could look up his fantasy baseball stats to sleek virtual movie theaters (Adaptability). I've learned to use new programs and sites, inside and outside the classroom (Ease of Mastery). I can connect to the internet from my phone, at my school and with my ever-handy laptop (Accessibility). And I'm pretty good with learning from forums, using Google and following tutorials (Transferability). Although the internet is a combination of Generative and Non-Generative systems, the 6th chapter of The Future of the Internet and How to Spot it shows that a free, reliable generative system will often succeed. I adore Wikipedia so much that I am willing to admit it to wise academic in a classroom setting, career be darned. I am also aware that Wikipedia is a not-for-profit that seasonally solicits its users for donations. I much rather own shares in "Walt Disney Company" than shares in spreading public information about Walt Disney Company's products online.

However, the article on the Wealth of Networks states that there are complications with theft and profiting from web release of private public goods. But it is also a reminder that there are numerous financial and publicity incentives that make navigating copywrite in the digital age worthwhile, which encourages greater spending and web job communication. Even open licensing can reap financial benefits. When personally computing, I disregard things how like IBM’s connection with Linux rewards it on a corporate level. I think most youth forget what Internet makes on a corporate level.


But the fact that it can offer any service, with any quantity as described in the “Long Tale,” does remind young people. Large internet fan communities, like those of Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer etc, spend lots of money on the internet on objects that might not be displayed proudly in the average American Household or justify the place in the average store front. If an idea or person resurfaces to the public psyche, certain Internet retailers can document it. If not, they still make money. Its not like I refuse to spend money online.


So on the internet, big business and small business combine. Individuals can find a place, albit a small one in the distribution process on both ends. This year my online earnings from serving providing web content/social media for my internship, taking surveys and skyping marketing interview. It also comes from ebaying a painting that I brought at a thrift shop at a 100% markup and a booking a gig with a friend at AgentAnything.com to host a party and lead the visitors in a 10 minute skit adapted from the 70’s Televison Show Hart to Hart while dressed in period costume.


The internet is at core, priceless. But young college students sometimes need to see some dollar signs. I liked how this weeks' three readings helped me to reconcile the malleable internet with cold, hard cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment